Swollen arm after drawing blood, done icing. Bruising, painful. Any thoughts?

Hi, I had my blood drawn about 9 weeks ago. After she pulled the needle out of my arm it instantly swelled. She told me it was a hemotoma and to put ice on it and it would be okay. Well the ice helped a little and the swelling went down a bit However the next few days my arm was so sore I could barely bend it which made things a bit difficult since my son was 6 weeks old when it happened. Then the bruise came, it was huge. The bruise is gone now but there is a lump right under the spot where she put the needle.The pain comes and goes. It primarily just feels sore around the lump, which is located just below the bend in my elbow. any thoughts?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
You had developed a hematoma due to inadequate pressure after blood collection.A major vessel must have punctured and caused the hematoma. it seems that the hematoma has formed an organised clot.You need not be worried if the pain/swelling doesnt increase. Incase the pain increases, seek medical attention immediately. There may be infection in such a case. Just apply ice locally and the the clot should be resolved in time.