Swollen area on neck,painful,jaw ache,nose bleed

I have a swollen area in my neck below my left ear that is very painful. It hurts to talk or move my jaw. I also have had some light nose bleeding in my left nostril. I am writing this on behalf of my girlfriend.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 57 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. There are a few possibilities for these symptoms which need to be ruled out and these include:

1)     It can be a swollen lymph node like a submandibular lymph node which has swollen in response to nasal and sinus infections. This infection may be responsible for the nasal bleeding as well.

2)     Second possibility is of parotid gland infection which can be due to mumps or parotitis due to bacterial or viral causes.

3)     Third possibility is of any stone in the salivary gland.

She also needs to get her blood pressure checked.

Your girlfriend needs certain investigations like blood count, sialography and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

You can also send me the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at the photographs and it will help me in understanding the condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.