Swollen area near the base of buttocks. Why is my bowel movement not consistent? Tyelnol helps?

I have a swollen area near the base of my left buttock. I recently experimented with anal sex and so I thought it was just bruising. I am just worried it may be something more complicated. Does this warrant a trip to the ER? Its painful to sit, walk, and when I cough. I took two extra strength Tylenol and the pain did not go away fully. It has been going on for two days. It almost seemed worse after I woke up this morning. It also hurts somewhat when I have a bowel movement and my bowel movements don't seem as consistent as usual. I have attached photograph. I am trying to decide if I should go to the ER or wait a few days to see if it goes away naturally.
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 hours later

I think you need to visit a doctor/Er as per availability.

From image that you have shared and complaints that you have described it seem that there an infection in that area may be due to any reason.

The area is quite red and painful as you say.

There are chances of peri anal abscess. The skin this area contains more fat and pus can develop readily and can spread fast.

Having too much of pain indicates active inflammation.

You need proper examination by a doctor and after that as per his choice a course of antibiotics.

Please do not wait for this to subside on its own.

Please visit ER/Doctor.

I hope this helps.