Swollen ankles and calves with red spots, calf pain. What?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I have swollen ankles real bad with bright red spots on both ankles and up mid calf of leg causing alot of calf pain as well what is this?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 34 minutes later

Swollen ankles and bright red spots along with calf pain indicate most commonly a blood vessel disorder like varicose veins or peripheral vascular disease or thrombophlebitis causing bleeding from minor veins or capillaries (smallest blood vessels).

Rarely can it be due to a bony or soft tissue like muscle problem like joint effusion or infection.

You need to consult a general surgeon or specialist in vascular surgeries for a detailed evaluation and some investigations like x-rays, ultrasound or venous Doppler of legs to confirm the diagnosis. The treatment will depend on the cause.

Till then you should avoid pressure on your ankles such as prolonged standing or walking and while sleeping raise your legs above the bed by keeping pillow underneath.

There is no point in wait and watch as early therapy will result in faster healing and relief.

The use of analgesics for pain may provide only temporary ineffective relief unless the cause is treated.

So don’t worry and get an appointment for your consultant.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.