Swollen and stiff neck after bug bites. Treatment?

I noticed a series of what appears to be bug bites on my left shoulder a few days ago, now the back of my neck on the left side and the left side are tender and very mildly headace of fever that I can determine. The neck seems to be lightly thick and swollen
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 44 minutes later

It seems from your history is that what you are referring to as bug ibites might be Herpes Zoster.
Hepes Zoster manifests as multiple fluid filled tiny lesions in a classic dermatomal pattern i.e they are localised to an area and never cross midline of the body.
In your case as you suggested that they are only on left side- neck, shoulder and back so they can be herpes zoster.
HZ is accompanied with pain and burning sensation.
The lesions slowly gets crusted but pain might remain.

To prevent infection a course of oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic cream should also be given- both in case of herpes as well as bug bites.

If you can send a photograph with all the lesions in a single frame, I can comment on exact diagnosis.

You need to treated with Acyclovir if the condition is herpes zoster- it again being a non harmful acute condition with no serious complications.

Hope you have got a detailed reply to your query.
Please accept my answer if satisfied.

Dr.Rohit Batra