Swollen and red toe finger. Applied Epsom's salt, took antibiotics. Any sign of infection. Should I continue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi, not sure where my previous note went:
I have been having problems with my second toe (it's a Morton's toe) right foot for quite some time (3-4 mths). Red, swollen at times, then better. The nail is discoloured and the pad underneath is looking discoloured and weird as well. My podology-trained pedicure lady actually found a tiny piece of glass or sliver in there about two weeks ago, she did not cut or poke, no bleeding. the toe seemed to be getting better after that.
I also needed orthotics due to arthritis in the arch of my foot at he same time. Once I started wearing them, the toe acted up again (shoe too small?) Anyway, the toe looks like it is infected now, and I went to my GP yesterday. He prescribed antibiotics and said to see a Podiatrist next week. I bathed the foot in Epsom's salt and bandaged it with antibiotic ointment, still not much better. The toe looks very swollen around the nail and the pad, (almost like the fingers of E.T. :-)!) , my foot also seems to be swollen, and I am worried about the infection moving to my right knee (full replacement 2005) - since my surgeon warned me of infections. Should I continue with antibiotics and wait till next week to make an appointment with a Podiatrist - or do I need to go to emergency over the weekend?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

From the description of symptoms, I feel that you could be having one of these two conditions -

(1) INGROWING TOE NAIL - Usually occurs due to wearing of Ill-fitting shoes (as in your case) or due to improper nail trimming. It presents as acute pain, swelling and cellulitis of the affected area.
In early cases, analgesic & antiinflammatory medications along with appropriate antibiotics will resolve the problem.
Chronic cases may require excision of few millimeters of nail upto nail matrix.

(2) ACUTE PARONYCHIA - This is inflammation of the NAIL FOLD ( the gutters along the sides of the nail). This is the most commonest form of digital infection.
It presents with severe pain and tenderness to touch and results in cellulitis and abscess formation within no time.
Treatment of early infection consists of WARM SOAKS and proper ANTIBIOTICS.
Incision and drainage may be needed for abscess forms.

GENERALLY, THE CHANCES OF A TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT GETTING INFECTED DUE TO ANY REMOTE INFECTION IN THE BODY IS HIGH ONLY UPTO 2 YEARS AFTER TKR SURGERY.

Consult your treating doctor and follow his advice.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Good day