Ask a Urologist   »  

Swollen and red meatus, soreness, anti-fungal cream not working. Help

my meatus is red swollen and soar i have had this problem fo over a month went to the doctor who prescribed anti-fungal cream but its not working he said it was a fungus i tried everything from tea tree oil to monistat 7 and 70% alcohol and vinegar im 45 yrs old good health
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Your History suggests, you are suffering from either:

1.) Balanitis
2.) Balanoposthitis

Balanitis is the inflammation foreskin and head of the penis. It may happen due to poor hygiene or use of Harsh soaps which has not been washed. Kindly don't worry as there nothing seems be serious.

You should be getting yourself examined by a Urologist so that he may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Blood Work
2.) Urinalysis
3.) Skin Biopsy (if necessary)

Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause. Your Doctor may prescribe, antibiotics, steroids, etc.

It is easily controllable with medications and Good Personal hygiene.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Maintain proper hygiene
2.) Avoid sexual contact with a stranger
3.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight
4.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
5.) During bathing, retract the foreskin to adequately clean and dry the area.
6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Swollen and red meatus, soreness, anti-fungal cream not working. Help 2 days later
I have been circumsized and the meatus is red and swolen
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the meatus is still swollen and red then systemic antibiotics are needed to control the infection. You need to consult your primary physician for the necessary prescriptions.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.