Swollen and red eye on the outside, stye inside eyelid. Pain when bending to reach for something. Something else?

Question
I have what the doctor said is a stye, however my eye has been swollen and red from the outside for about 5 days now. I read about styes and mine is inside my eyelid and not visible ? Is that normal? I have had styes before about ten years ago and I never had a swollen eye this bad. My eyelid is droopy and makes my vision impaired. Whenever i bend down to reach for something my eye hurts really bad. Could this be something else? What can I do to make this go away
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Welcome to Helathcare Magic,
In you case may be two conditions, one of them hordeolum ( stye) that rarely ,but can be located XXXXXXX , associated with pain, redness, swelling ( infectious origin ). Another one, chalazion- same swelling, redness, but pain is not so acute and it appeared as a nodule, lump that can last weeks, sometime painless, (generally noninfectious origin due to obstruction of meibomian gland). It is very hard to distinguish in first few days between these two conditions.
What you can do now practically ( taking in consideration you have had previously similar condition) apply daily hot compresses locally for minimum 10-15 minutes 2-3 times per day with slight massage, plus topical locally eye drops contain antibiotic ( ciprofloxacin or gentamycin) or eye ointment containing antibiotics, plus topical corticosteroids eye drops, in such case hordeolum “stye” will drain itself, in case if it doesn’t respond to hot compresses , local therapy and remaining as a hard nodule, then need incision and curettage or local intranodule injection with triamcinolone , plus oral antibiotics ( most effective doxycycline, or cephalexin or augmentin ) . All these procedures can be done in any medical center. If you experience pain take ibuprofen or naproxen tablets.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Swollen and red eye on the outside, stye inside eyelid. Pain when bending to reach for something. Something else? 1 hour later
Thank you. How will I know if it's a stye or chalaion? Also how long does the swelling and stye last?

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 9 hours later
Welcome back,
The signs and symptoms will persist around one week to ten days. If after one week pain , swelling will be the same intensity then you will consider stye, if it will transform in non painful nodule , smaller then present one with no pain or mild pain, then you can consider chalazion.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Swollen and red eye on the outside, stye inside eyelid. Pain when bending to reach for something. Something else? 10 hours later
Hi Doctor, I woke up this morning with the same amount of swelling and pain and the bump is still there. No changes. I have done warm compresses almost 10xs a day and nothing. My eyes hurt when I go outside I have to keep it shut and it bothers me when I read. Is this normal? I am trying to make this go away since I have school but I can not go out with my eye this swollen. I flipped my eye to see it from the inside and it looks like a big lump no signs of pus or any discharge . Any other recommendations? I am desperate! Thank you

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 45 minutes later
Welcome back,
Yes, I understand your frustration, pain and discomfort is normal in your condition. Except hot compresses do you got those eye drops antibiotic ( ciprofloxacin or gentamycin) or eye ointment containing antibiotics, plus topical corticosteroids eye drops ? Do you took Ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain? If there no improvements after eye drops, tablets, compresses then you have no choice, single solution is surgical incision and drainage that you can’t do by yourself , you need Ophthalmologist help and all procedures must be done in medical clinic . Don’t be desperate , your condition are very common among peoples and can be solved.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Swollen and red eye on the outside, stye inside eyelid. Pain when bending to reach for something. Something else? 2 days later
Hi doctor. It has been over a week and I have been doing the warm compresses and the antibiotic ointment and still no improvement. The lump is still the same size and it's soft but has not reduced in size. Do you think I should seek my doctor again?

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 51 minutes later
Welcome back,
Very good you start already treatment. If there no pain like before then seems to be chalazion, I would advice you continue treatment with local eye drops or ointment for more one week , because is absorbed spontaneously over two to eight weeks. If after several days, one week you will note no improvements ( no absorption, no degreased in dimension) then you need incision, drainage or intralesion injection with corticosteroids: triamcinolone. In such case you need Doctor help.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail