Swollen and painful vagina. Hurts while urinating and noticed blood in it. What's going on?

I'm having extreme pain in my vagina and I feel I'm very swollen and when I urinate it hurts me so bad I cry and I just noticed blood comes out. I'm very much in pain and scared can you please help me? What's wrong with me? I have been having the urge to pee all day and sometimes only a little comes out. I have the heating pad on me because I feel my vagina is so sore. I have not had any intercourse in weeks with my husband so this can't be soreness because of sex.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

It appears as though you could be experiencing either a urinary tract infection or a vaginal infection. This does not necessarily occur due to sexual contact.

Let me list the symptoms for the same:
-Burning during or close to the end of urination
-Pain in lower abdomen
-Frequent urination (small amounts or no urine also at times)
-Exhaustion due to loss of fluids and frequent visits to the toilet
-Itching around genitalia

The diagnosis of a urinary tract infection (UTI) is made with the help of a urine analysis and urine culture study which has to be clinically correlated. Once the diagnosis is made, this is treated with antibiotics, pain management medication and a potassium chloride based solution to relieve the symptoms. Similarly the diagnosis for a vaginal infection is also made with clinical presentation and a physical examination. Please visit a doctor for the same.

In the meantime, please consume plenty of water and cranberry juice if available.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.