Swollen and painful inside of nose, swelling over lip and eye. What is it?

ENT Specialist
my inside center of my nose is in a lot of pain and is swollen. it is starting to swell over my lip not as well and a little around my eye. what is this
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through your brief description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis with spreading of the infection to the surrounding tissues.

Sinuses are the empty cavities in the skull to protect the brain. Sinusitis is a condition wherein there is inflammation of the sinuses followed by infection. Following inflammation there is swelling of the nasal mucosa due to which there is blockage of the sinus opening leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions. Accumulated nasal secretions get infected causing headache, fever, cough, nasal stuffiness, body pain etc. Occasionally without the presence of any of these above symptoms there are be spreading of the infection into the surrounding soft tissues such as nasal side of the eye, cheeks, lips, etc.

You need to consult your doctor at the earliest and get an X-ray/CT scan of the nose and the paranasal sinuses to confirm sinusitis.

Till then you can try the following medications:
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in relieving the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the headache.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus and easy clearance from the sinuses.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for headache and body pain.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon