Swollen and painful breasts. Period due next week. What could this be?

My breasts are very swollen, & painful... both sides, especially upper & to the sides.
I have had this for a week now, but my period isnt due for another week.
What could this be & what can I do?

Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 hours later
Mastalgia is common in the pre-menstrual period.You however, need to be examined just to rule the possibility of any cysts/swellings etc. You can see a surgeon to rule out that possibility. You can even do a self examination at home in front of the mirror.If there are no palpable lumps then mastalgia is probably due to the PMS.
Primrose oil is helpful along with Vit E capsules.Taken twice a day it will help relieve the tenderness.Use a tight brassiere. Adequate support is necessary.