Swollen and itchy index finger. Pains while bending. No relief by combiflam ointment. What should be done?

Question
My nine year old son's index finger is swollen since yesterday(9th July) from it's base upwards to the extent that he could not bend it this morning. It only PAINS when he tries to BEND it. The skin of the finger is a bit ITCHY and there is a REDDISH tinge to the skin. Gave him combiflam syrup last evening to bring down the swelling, also applied combiflam ointment locally and tied a bandage to immobilize the finger. NO relief this morning. He says that a football had hit him hard LAST Monday(2nd July).
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query.

It seems that your son might have injury in the bone or soft tissues of index finger, as there is history of hit of football on the finger. He might have small fracture on metacarpal bone.

Go for X XXXXXXX of index finger to rule out fracture or soft tissue injury. Consult orthopedic surgeon and get him examined.

There is one possibility of having insect bite as he gets a bit itching and there is rash.

Consult doctor as soon as possible as there may be chance of having infection as well.

Hope, I answered your query.

If you have further query or clarification, please ask. I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Swollen and itchy index finger. Pains while bending. No relief by combiflam ointment. What should be done? 1 hour later
thank you Doctor

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 12 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

Please accept the answer and close the query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Swollen and itchy index finger. Pains while bending. No relief by combiflam ointment. What should be done? 6 hours later
Hi Doc!

X-ray done, bones OK!
No insect bite seen.

What next?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 32 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Thats good news. As of now, you son needs to do the following:
a. The finger needs to be supported preferably with a bandage or a small splint
b. You need to apply an ice pack for 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a day
c. You can give him Syrup benadryl 2 tsp twice a day and Children's Motrin 2 tsp twice daily. this should be given for 3-4 days. In addition, he may need an oral antibiotic as well. You will need to see his physician for that as these are prescription drugs.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.