Swollen and hurt hand. Will a doctor recommend an x-ray?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My left hand is swollen and hurts. I can bend the fingers, but even something like holding a book is uncomfortable. This started a few days ago. I guess I hope it will go away but it has not. My right hand is fine (I am right handed by the way.) If I go see a doctor do you think he would recommend a xray of the hand? Oh, no bumping of the hand--I just woke up one morning like this. Could it be a spider bite? Even curling my fingers to type this message hurts.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later

Swelling of only one hand without any history of trauma may be due to infection or inflammation caused by arthritis or a local allergy or insect bite.
A direct examination is required for proper diagnosis. If it is due to arthritis, then X-ray of the hand might be needed.

Till the time you consult your physician, you can take mild like Ibuprofen and keep the hand elevated on two pillows while resting.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.