Swollen and bruised knee. X-ray showed fibula fracture. What should be done?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I went for a X-ray today as my left knee is swollen and bruised on my X-ray you can clearly see a crack in the top part of my fibula after a doctor saying its strange but then changing his mind after he knew the doctor who signed it off.the main reason for my X-ray was to look at my knee should the doctor of reported the crack
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I have gone through the xray attached with the query. Although it is not very clear, there is a possibility of fracture neck of fibula.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician to see any other injury at knee, any distal neurovascular defict, so that an accurate diagnosis can be made. You may get immobilization in plaster cast for 3-4 weeks under his/her guidance.

Hope this information helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Follow-up: Swollen and bruised knee. X-ray showed fibula fracture. What should be done? 24 minutes later
Thankyou for getting back to me shouldn't the doctor who wrote the results for my X-ray picked up on it or do they only look at what the doctor has asked to be examend
Thanks for writing back.

As I had said that x-ray is of not good quality, so the line which is seen at upper end of fibula could be an artifact or a fracture. So both xray and clinical finding should be corealated. So I advice you to consult your treating doctor. He or she may advice you for a repeat x-ray.

Hope this helps and you recover soon.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.