Swimming, cold, cough, fever, shaking. Treatment ?

my 3 1/2 year old son was out swimming most of the afternoon and was fine.... but afterwards sounded like he had a cold, then went to bed and is waking up with a bad croupy style cough and has bad fever shakes but doesn't feel cold or warm. Anything I should do?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 49 minutes later

Many infections can easily be transmitted from one child to another when children fail to comply with proper hygienic habits before entering a swimming pool.

Among the main culprits are the stray fecal matter, invisible to the human eye.

But it has the potential to cause serious infections.

Chlorine in the swimming pool kills most of the weaker microbes, it does not kill some of the serious and stubborn ones.

Your child may have contracted an take him to a pediatrician as he needs a complete evaluation and may even require a course of antibiotic with cough syrup and nebulisation.

It is mandatory to take shower before entering into a pool.

Take care not to swallow the water from the pool.

Use ear plugs to prevent otitis media.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.