Swelling under chin, sore to touch, painful, chest pain, ear pain, sinus pressure. Any ideas?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have a large lump/swelling appeared under my chin in the middle which is really sore to touch. It appeared yesterday and seems to be getting bigger and more painful. Also have been having some chest pains, a mild ear ache and sinus pressure? Any ideas
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 28 minutes later

Thanks of the query

The swelling below the chin could be an inflamed lymph node secondary to the infection in the teeth or floor of the mouth.

1. You can try taking antibiotics such as a combination of Amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime which will cover all the infections related to oral cavity and the sinuses.
2. A good anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac will be helpful in reducing the pain and the swelling.
3. Use saline nasal spray, followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. This will open up the sinuses and relieve headache.
4. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and oral cavity hydrated.
5. Avoid coffee/cold beverages/smoking and alcohol if any.

With the above measures your infection should subside.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon