Swelling on whole body and lots of water retention. Tired all the time, sore legs and swollen throat. Treatment?

Dec 2012

Swelling in my whole body, lots of water retention, very tired all the time, my legs are sore, my hair is thinning, my throat feels swollen all time. I have really bad headaches, and I get the flu a lot.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Extreme generalized edema/anasarca

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I really I am sorry for your health troubles and I hope I will be able to throw some light on your condition and guide to how you can get better.
You are having what is known as anasarca (swelling all over your body due to water retention). Anasarca, or extreme generalized edema, is a medical condition characterised by widespread swelling of the skin due to effusion of fluid into the extracellular space. It is usually caused by liver failure (cirrhosis of the liver), renal failure/disease, right-sided heart failure, as well as severe malnutrition/protein deficiency. In your cases, the most likely cause could be heart failure (right-sided or congestive) or renal failure. You will be required to consult with an internist for clinical evaluation.
A kidney function tests will be able to rule out a renal cause and if this be the case, treatment options will be provided depending on the stage of the kidney diseases. Heart failure also needs to be treated properly before the swelling can be cleared off.
Your blood pressure, pulse and respiratory rates need to be monitored regularly.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Please feel free to write any follow-up questions you have.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Swelling on whole body and lots of water retention. Tired all the time, sore legs and swollen throat. Treatment? 13 minutes later
I was told at my foot care clinic that my heart has a double beat, my doctor does not believe it. Also my feet and hands turn a purplish blue lots of times and they don't feel cold they feel kind of hot, there are times I will soak my feet in cold water
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is likely that your heart has a problem

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow-up query,

It is most likely that you might be suffering from a heart condition and your foot care clinic might be right about the double beat but if your doctor says order wise after examining you, it will be possible that the foot care might also be wrong. I suggest you get another doctor to examine you first so they may do an ECG and a cardiac ultrasound. The symptoms you present are still likely related to heart or kidney diseases. Ones they are detected and treated you will get a little better.

Hope this helps further
Dr. Nsah