Swelling on the skin, localised to eyes, arms and foot. Taken anti allergic medicine. Is this allergy or something else, advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am not sure if it is allergy but on my skin suddenly there is swelling as if a mosquito has bitten me and then it goes on increasing - it was localised to my eye till now but now it happened on my arms and foot. The swelling was v bad - odema and I had to take anti allergic drug after which it subsided.
pl tell mw what should i do and is this allergy or some thing else
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Have you been bitten by insect?

Have you taken any new medication recently?

Are you having eye itching, nasal discharge?

Are you using any new cosmetics, soap or shampoo?

Does anyone in your family have same problem?

The history provided goes in favor of possible allergic reaction, especially if associated with itching and formation of wheals.

There could also be other causes of the same like Hereditary angioneurotic edema due to deficiency of certain proteins, other vesicobullous disorders including possible eczema as well.

Since you have taken anti-allergy medication and the lesions have subsided, it is most likely due to allergy. Certain new medication, insect bites, use of new shampoo, detergent, toiletries etc. can also cause the same.

It is advisable to consult your Dermatologist or Immunologist and get a full checkup to find what you are allergic to by patch testing so that you can avoid this allergic substance. Main treatment is avoidance of allergic substance and also taking anti-allergic medication as well as possible steroid medication.

Kindly respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.