Swelling on right side of face and eye, scan normal, taken antibiotics. What could it be?

Question
Hi I suddenly felt a weird feeling in the right side of my face, and for no apparent reason it started to swell up. The next morning the swelling was all around my eye too, so I went to A+E and they gave me a scan and it came back clear. So I was sent home with antibiotics.
I am not allergic to anything, and I have no signs of being bitten.
This morning after taking my first 2 antibiotics yesterday, the swelling has come all around the right side of my jaw too. What could it be.
Thanks
AAAAA
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

This is very uncommon presentation without any other symptoms like fever, pain and vision problems. Just a swelling that bothers should be completely analyzed. Do you have redness and itching over the swelling?
What was the scan done at the A&E?
Can you upload any picture of the swelling and the parts of the face?

I could think of local cellulitis with the preliminary information available. The treatment is antibiotics and antiinflammatory medicines.

Looking forward for the details.

Regards.

Follow-up: Swelling on right side of face and eye, scan normal, taken antibiotics. What could it be? 42 minutes later
Yes it is a bit itchy, Im not to sure of the type of scan it was one that I had to bite on a plastic thing and was scanned around my head.
Thanks
AAAAA

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
The details and photograph is much better. These additional information is not helpful for me.

However continue with the antibiotics.

Follow-up: Swelling on right side of face and eye, scan normal, taken antibiotics. What could it be? 25 minutes later
Hi I'm sorry but I am unable to upload a picture for you. I also made a mistake and said I had a scan but meant that I had a xray :-)
Thanks
XXXXXXX

Hi
The swelling is also starting to itch now, especially by my nose and eye.
Thank you
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later

If the Xray is normal probably the malady did not get down to or arising from bone. So it is less serious. Continue the antibiotics and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen which your doctor prescribed. Generally it takes 5 to 6 days before it completely subsides or start regressing.

Let me know the progress after four days from now.

Thank you.