Swelling on neck. Could this be the result of spine being out of alignment?

Hi Dr, I Would like some answers as to whether swelling on both sides of my neck could be a result of maybe my spine being out of alignment?
I have noticed a deffinate swelling in my neck area,its not sore to touch and the only pain i get from it usually is a dull ache.Im not sure as to how long it has been swollen probably over a month. I visited my Doctor to test for underactive or overactive thyroid and all the blood test came back fine. I havent been checked for anything else and the doctor assured me she couldnt feel any gristle like mass in that area. I have searched for answers and was wondering if visitng a chiropractor would be a good idea? i notice my poisture is not as good as it was say a few months ago when i was doing a different job and thought maybe my theory is worth investigating?
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to know the following

1. Where exactly is the swelling in the neck area ? Is it on the side of the neck or is it in front of the neck or the back
2. When you touch the swelling is it hard (like a bone) or does it feel soft or rubbery ?
3. Does it move under the skin ?
4. It is painful when you move the neck ?
5. Is it visible or just palpable ?

There could be number of causes of swelling around the neck. Visiting a Chiropractor is not a good idea unless we know what kind of swelling it is exactly. If it is visible if possible can you upload a photograph of the swelling so that we have a better idea of what you are talking about (you can ask a friend or family to click one without your face coming in the frame).

Sometimes enlarged lymph nodes in the neck can cause swelling around the neck area, however the importance of this can only be judged depending on where exactly is the swelling and what does it feel like. If your doctor couldn't feel the swelling - it is probably nothing significant because doctors in their physical examinations generally donot miss such things.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Consultant Physician