Swelling on left side of rectum, no bleeding, painful, hard to sit, sleep, no loss of appetite, discomfort. Treatment options ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have swelling on my left side of my rectum no bleeding hurts but not to the touch, Hard to sit down or sleep. Dont feel ill or no loss of apatiete just uncombfortable and really cant do no activities
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later

Swelling on left side of rectum with no bleeding with pain can be most commonly the beginning of a Hemorrhoid.

Hemorrhoids need a rectal examination with a surgeon to classify the type. They are usually good to treat if detected early. I encourage you to consult a surgeon earlier to confirm and early treatment. Treatment can vary from conservative to surgical removal - depends on the findings at examination.

Meanwhile, do not strain much at stools, and eat moderate bland semi solid food with good amounts of fiber. Keep the area clean and dry.

Having sitz bath and application of Preparation H ointment can help to relieve your symptoms. You can take mild pain killer like ibuprofen to relieve the pain.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.