Swelling on finger. Took Valtrex,but swelling seems to spread. Took Baxtrim, no help. Any other treatment ?

Question
around christmas had swelling on finger, 1st doc thought it was viral & gave me valtrex. Also, she cut finger to drain-there was not much in there. Within few days swelling was spread to 3 fingers, 2nd doc gave baxtrim and seemed to clear a bit, came back again 3rd doc ( ER )gave climonycin 14 days every 6 hours, fingers looked good but within few days it came back and now spreading to all fingers with pain to elbow.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later

Thanks for your query ,I have read through the details.

The finger infection you have are commonly caused by bacteria than the viruses.You will need to treat them with the antibiotics they are senstive for and that could be determined by a Culture and antibiotic sensitivity test on the discharge from one of the finger during drainage.

It will help in combating the infection with the right antibiotics and avoid the undesired effects of inappropriate treatment.

The pain in the elbow could probably be due to the same infection causing spasm in the flexor and extensor muscles of the wrist .Early and better treatment is necessary to prevent complications like Cellulitis, Flexor tenosynovitis and XXXXXXX space infection which are serious.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Thanks for visiting WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care , Bye

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.

Follow-up: Swelling on finger. Took Valtrex,but swelling seems to spread. Took Baxtrim, no help. Any other treatment ? 4 hours later
Could it be a fungal infection ? I'm being advised by someone who had similiar situation on his finger and he said he went through many antibiotics until a doctor prescribed Lamisl. I'm very uneasy taking more antibiotics since i've been on & off them since Dec 2010. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query

Yes , It can be a fungal infection . A physical examination of the hand would not miss that , as the appearence of the discharge and the lesion will be diagnostic most of times.Most of the fungal infections produce granular discharge with specific colour and odour which makes the diagnosis easy on examination.

Well if the bacterial culture comes as negative , then considering fungus as a
possible cause is reasonable . It can be confirmed by a KOH prepration of the
discharge or the infected tissue or by a fungal culture .

Wish you Good Health