Swelling on face, arms and legs in the morning. Medical cure for this?

Hi Doctor,
I am writing this on behalf my fiancee.
She has body swelling in the mornings. It is usually observed when she works late night or if she gets tensed lot. In the morning she gets swelling on face, at arms and legs. She had low BP (90/70) 2 years back and that time she had lot of swelling.

Please provide suggestions regarding medicines or diet.

Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to get further investigations done

Detailed Answer:

I wish that you had given as much details as possible, as your query does not give me much idea about the possible diagnosis.

However, from the details given, some of the possible causes, that come to my mind, are
(a) Early Kidney failure
(b) Early heart failure
(c) Thyroid problem
(d) Anemia
(e) Some auto-immune disorders in which the defensive system of the body fails to recognize body's own tissues as "foreign" and starts destroying them.

I therefore request you to kindly give me as much information as possible, and particularly the following details:-

- Age; duration of problems

- Is she on any medications?

- Less urine output, color of urine, history of pus/blood in urine, burning sensation or pain while passing urine; very frequent urge to pass urine; if any dimple occurs when the swollen leg is pressed by a finger.

- Breathless on even mild exertion or during sleep; heavy beating of the heart; dry cough; any pain in left side of chest on doing physical exertion; abnormal beating of the heart; pain in right upper part of abdomen

- any history of Asthma or noisy breathing; frequent attacks of common cold

- increase in body weight; severe tiredness, excessive hair-fall; constipation, any visible swelling in the neck; dry skin; loss of appetite

- rashes on the body; joint pains; pain/swelling of abdomen; history of having suffered from jaundice in the past; menstruation (periods) abnormalities; fainting attacks; numbness of hands/feet.

Please relax, as I am there to give you valuable and professional advice, on receiving the required information.

Waiting for your reply,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal