Swelling on back of left side of head near hairline, next to ear. ENT says little thickening. Is it Lymphoma ?

Question
I am a 59 year old women in generaly good health. Only medications I take is Lipitor (now the generic one), zetia and just prescribed Flonase for stuffy nose. About a month ago I went in for physical and doctor thought my lymph nodes under ears were a little thick. Sent me to a ENT doctor after doing an ultrasound which confirmed a little thickening. The ENT doctor said I was fine. They were not hard, or large and it was probably a little infection i was fighting although I haven't been ill. I go back to him in 2 months to recheck them. Now I am have a somewhat painful and maybe little swelling on back of head of left side near hairline and next to ear. It has come and gone a couple times for several days. I have been very worried about Lymphoma. Also noticing this could be a side effect of the generic lipitor I just started. I was on regular Lipitor for many years will little side effects.
I had all the regular blood tests, pap smear,chest exray at time of physical and all came back good. Should I be worried???
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Lymphoma

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Lymphnodes get swollen and become tender, when there in any infection in their catchment area. When infection subsides, lymphnodes also decrease in size.

The swelling doesn't seem to be due to side effect of Lipitor.

First you should try antibiotic and prescription by your doctor. If there is no relief or decrease in the size of swelling, please get F.N.A.C.(Fine needle aspiration cytology) of the sweling done. If report is abnormal, please consult your E.N.T. specialist with the report for diagnosis and treatment.

If F.N.A.C. report is normal, you need not to be worried.

Hope, you will be satisfied with the answer. If you have further query, please ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Swelling on back of left side of head near hairline, next to ear. ENT says little thickening. Is it Lymphoma ? 43 hours later
Thank you for your answer. This area in the back of my head is tender and maybe a little swollen, I feel a slight soreness and sometimes a minor burning sensation. Could that be an infection? I am calling my family doctor tomorrow to get in to see him.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 22 minutes later

Welcome again,

Yes, it can be due to infection.

Surfaz-SN/Quadriderm Ointment can give relief in superficial infection.

After examination and palpation, your family doctor will be in a better position to diagnose and treat.

Hope, you will be satisfied with the answer. If you have further query, please ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer and rate it.

With good wishes,