Swelling on ankle, indentation on pressing the area, no pain or redness. Advise?

I just noticed that when I prees on my inner right ankle it stays indented. I noticed it looked a little swollen, and discovered it was doing this when I pressed on it. There is no pain, or redness.
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern but to be able to understand your problem properly,I need some informations from you.
Since when you have noticed it?
Is this swelling is on one leg or both the legs?
Does any indentation occurs on this swelling on pressing or it remains as such?
Any breathlessness ?
Any history of taking any medicine?
Have you ever been investigated for any disease?
Is there any history of anemia or hypothyroidism?

Please supply these informations so that we can proceed ahead with our discussion.
Follow-up: Swelling on ankle, indentation on pressing the area, no pain or redness. Advise? 51 minutes later
I just noticed it today.
The swelling is on the right ankle only, and only on the inside.

When I press directly on the swollen area the indent remains for about 15 seconds. It looks like putty, or one of those rubber stress balls when pressed.

I have breathlessness in the early morning when I wake up, but I've had that for awhile due to smoking, and being overweight. I've recently started weight lifting, and do not notice being out of breath during heavy weight training other that what is normal.

I've never been on any medication for long periods of time, and haven't had any medication at all in over a year. Those were just antibiotics.

No history of anemia, or hypothyroidism.

I did strain my calf muscle a few days ago doing calf raise exercises, but it's since healed. I'm not sure if this is related.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Since you have noticed this swelling in past one day,i would advise you to wait and watch for next few days and see what symptoms develop or does this swelling gets bigger or swelling starts occuring on both feet.
Swelling of the feet and ankle of one leg can occur as a result of conditions involving the local extremities.
 Localized processes such as injuries and infections may lead to a swollen foot and/or ankle only on the involved side. Swelling of the ankle on one side is often a result of sprains or strains. Sometimes diseases that affect the entire body, such as heart disease and kidney or liver failure, can result in excess fluid buildup (edema) that is often concentrated in the legs and feet, leading to swelling not only of the ankles but also of the feet and lower legs,but on both the feet and ankles.
 This can also occur with obstruction of the venous system, as may occur with  obesity. Diseases of the joints, such as arthritis, can also affect the joints of the ankle and foot, leading to swelling of the involved areas. Treatments for swollen ankles and feet depend on the particular cause.
See your symptoms for next few days and if any thing is noticed,you can revisit us or can contact your doctor.