Swelling of lips, chin and part of face. Stress due to divorce. Is it a sexual disease?

my son woke up with his lips, chin and part of his face swelled. he is 35 and going through a divorce. he thinks his wife might have given him a sexual disease i think its stress. but he thinks women only get reactions from stress
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 12 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Swelling of the facial area especially the lips, would need examination to rule out angioedema which is an emergency. Angioedema most likely is due to an allergen factor that your son might be sensitive to.

Another possibility can be a bite from a bedbug/arthropod insect while he was asleep. Even a large bite can give rise to angioedema sometimes.

Not to scare him, but keep an eye on the size of the swelling. Report to doctor in case swelling enlarges/painful/difficulty breathing/redness increases.

Stress and sexual diseases will not cause these symptoms.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.