Swelling of legs after a drive. Is this normal? Or is it related to heart or kidney?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My son is very active with basketball and exercise. We recently went on a 6hr drive in a sedan. The next day he was sitting at a computer for a couple of hours. Later that night he complained of swelling to both legs without pain. I told him to lie down and after 5hrs sleep and rest, the swelling was gone. Is it normal for children to have this swelling without it being something serious wrong like heart and kidney disease or any other disease or illness?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 hours later

I have gone through the details your provided and I do not find any reason to concern.

I understand you would be worried. But don't worry. What you described is pretty much normal. Only if the swelling had persisted or if the occur recurrently then we need to evaluate him for medical illness.

So please don't be worried. He should be fine.

Hope this is reassuring. Let me know if you need any more help.
If there are no more queries, please close this discussion.

Dr Arun