Swelling, itching in glutial fold. Taking thyroid medicine and nasal spray. What is my problem?

On thyroid meds and nasal spray with steroids in it. glutial fold itch begins with a swelling, intense itching, moisture and a lon time to go away. What is my problem? I take zanax, zantac. I do sweat more than usual, not profuse, however. I think thyroid meds cause me to sweat a bit. I have autoimmune thyroid. it reoccurs. went away cor a long tome, now it is back . in the past it has been chronic. Saw dermatologists who XXXXXXX t really investigate the problem. You need to respond to YYYY@YYYY , thank you
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Also I would like to know-

Itching is more during day or night?

Which parts of body are affected?

Is there scaling at the spots?

Have you applied new cosmetics/lotions/ clothes/ ornaments/soap ?

Can you upload good photos of affected skin ( if there are any visible lesions)

Since when you have this problem?

Any fever/cough /sorethroat/systemic symptoms?

please answer the above questions to help you better.

Upload your photos Using UPLOAD YOU PHOTOS section on right side of the box.

Till then you can take tab.zyrtec twice daily for itching.

Anticipating your reply.

Follow-up: Swelling, itching in glutial fold. Taking thyroid medicine and nasal spray. What is my problem? 32 hours later
Unable to send photo. Itch always in the glutialfold. usaullyonly one spot, seems to weep. Itbegins with a welt, swollen area. i can feel that the skin is maybe scaly but intensly itchy. it takes a long time to rid of it. it had been happening for a couple of years, went away, and now is back. I blame foam topperbeddng.......I do have a cough, persistant. saw a pulmonay doc and my ent. ENT says throat swollen , meaning allergies not under control. pumlonary doctor says mild asthma......had breathingtests done.
Don t know if itching is worse at night or day.nWorse if Intake a hot shower /soap and worse if I sweat.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Thanks for the details.

Without the photos it is not possible to pinpoint the condition.

Thyroid diseases can cause dry skin and xerosis leading to itching of skin.

Apply good quality moisturizer with aloe vera cream over the affected area.

However you can try hydrocortisone cream application over the affected area for seven days to see whether it responds.

Also you can take tab.zyrtec for itching .

A visit to dermatologist or your physician will be helpful.

A proper physical examination and a few investigations like KOH scrapping will establish the diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.