Swelling inside vagina, tissue, white discharge, itching, pressure post eating or lying down. Causes and treatment?

hello, i have noticed that inside my vaginal walls i have felt a ball round like tissue and also felt like the walls are also swollen. i felt no pain when i checked. i had noticed a couple of days before a white discharge and a little itching but thats gone now. i too feel like my lower abdominal area near or where the uterus lays, like there is something putting a little pressure specially after i eat or as i lay down sideways, or whenever i lay on my stomach. ive never had an infection or anything of that sort so im not sure what could be causing any of this.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

You have noticed a ball like round tissue and swollen walls around the vagina. You also had whitish discharge and slight itching too.

In most cases you can notice vaginal swelling if you had vaginal trauma (sexual, riding or dancing accidents, trauma with objects, after delivery or abortion, etc.) or because of different types of vaginal infection (yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis, sexually transmitted infections).

If it is traumatic, it will disappear soon but if there is an infection, it should be identified and receive adequate treatment. Damaged skin can leave you open to infection such as Candida which can cause swelling and inflammation. Since you had whitish discharge it could be due to this too.

Other causes could be due to:
Allergy to semen, Gonorrhea, Streptococcus infection, Staphylococcus infection, E. coli infection, Trichomonas infection, Monilia infection, Cysts of Gartner's duct, Endometriosis.

There is a probability of you having a vaginal cyst. Vaginal cyst is a closed sac on or under the vaginal lining that contains fluid or semisolid material. Vaginal cysts usually do not cause symptoms, although there may be a soft lump felt in the vaginal wall or protruding from the vagina.

You will need to undergo examination by a Gynecologist. A biopsy may be necessary to rule out vaginal cancer, especially if the mass appears to be solid. The only treatment needed may simply involved routine exams and watching the swelling for growth and other changes.

Surgical excision (removal) may be chosen or possibly required if the cyst is causing symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.