Swelling inside the site of ear piercing. Is it scar tissue?

ENT Specialist
I've been reading about lumps at the site of NEW piercings but I've had my ear pierced for YEARS & just recently it started bothering me. It's sore to the touch, with a lump seemingly inside the earring hole. I had thought it was infection & have been squeezing on it but it won't come out. Perhaps it's scar tissue? Should I just give up on the earring and let the hole close up? Also I've had some numbness I'm not sure if it's related but seemed to start at the same time... it feels like I have earphones in and then seems to feel like the earphones are growing to cause pressure and then it goes away. It's sporadic throughout the day....
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The swelling in the vicinity of the ear piercings may be an allergic reaction to impurities in the earrings which have eroded the coating. Nickel, Chromium and other metals are frequently responsible.

2. Infection, cysts and keloid scar formation are other possibilities,

3. You may change the earrings to a pure gold wire for some time if you want to retain the piercing.

4. The numbness implies local inflammation affecting the cutaneous nerves.

5. Get this examined. It may be that the respiratory infection has altered your immune system. Get a prescription for an anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and a local antibiotic, anti-fungal and steroid cream combination.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.