Swelling in uvula due to smoking, had tonsillectomy. Increased chance of throat cancer?

I had a tonsilectommy 6 months ago and started smoking again about 3-4 weeks after the operation. I have now stopped smoking again 3 weeks ago but am concerned that the smoking has caused me to still have swelling still 6 months later in that the uvula is still resting on my tongue and the soft pallate is lower than it should be. I am also concerned that the smoking after this op would have increased chance of throat cancers and has caused the soft pallate and the uvula to sit lower down in the back of my throat- is this the case?
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
You are absolutely right but partly.
Let me explain.
Smoking causes cancer and you waged this by smoking that is right.
The smoking as a cause of low soft palate of swollen uvula is not right.
Soft palate and uvula have variable anatomy so you can hardly judge their abnormality unless you are having redness and pain at the local site.
There is also a drastic change in tone of the voice with slightest change in these structures.
So you do not have to worry about them but off course your idea of quitting smoking is worth considering.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Swelling in uvula due to smoking, had tonsillectomy. Increased chance of throat cancer? 15 minutes later
I am trying to establish whether the low soft pallate and the swollen uvula are a cause of the tonsilectommy or as a result of smoking whilst recovering from the tonsilectommy. Shoudl the palate and the uvula still be so swollen 6 months after my operation? I am trying to understand if the smoking has casued this or it is purely as a result of the operation?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 50 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The low palate and swollen uvula themselves might be due to frequent Upper respiratory tract infections, which are also the most important cause of acute tonsillitis.
The swelling can not persist till 6months post tonsillectomy.
It may be the same chronic infections in the throat which might be causing this;
but if you do not have pain or redness at local site then it may be just your usual anatomy.
Smoking would not cause these changes, yes surgery changes the architecture and appearance of your throat but that would not lead to problems.
Wish you a great health!