Swelling in the ankle, diarrhea, weight loss. Cyst found outside the liver in biopsy. Malignant? Undergone radiotherapy for prostrate cancer

My dad has abdominal swelling. swelling in the ankle lower legs. and diarrhrea. They gave him water pills and found no cancer in the fluid. They biopsied a 2cm growth in the liver today. They saw only 2 small growths/cyts onthe out side of the liver. Doc does not suspect any satge of cirrosis. he doesn't drink.
He started losing a lil weight but mostly due to water pills. He has prostrate cance rbut has lkept his prostrate cancer ocunt down to a 2 because he underwent radiation and is on lupron.
Do you thinkl he has any decent chance it isn't malignant cancer? We do not get the biopsy results until Wednseday.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
I am afraid that I can't give you the exact percentage chance of this being a malignant cancer. This is because I need some further information. There is a lot of information that would be needed. Hence, I would request you to provide me with the same as and when it is available to you. The following information would be needed.
a.     As your dad has fluid in the abdomen and in the feet (around ankle) which has been tested for several parameters (of which the test for cancer is negative). I would like to know the report of the examination of this fluid. This would include parameters like the nature of the fluid in the abdomen, clarity, cell types seen, protein and sugar content, bacterial culture, etc.
b.     If the fluid has accumulated due to low protein levels in the blood, a cause for protein loss needs to be determined. This can be due to a protein losing enteropathy ( as he already has diarrhoea) or urinary losses . This can be evaluated using a colonoscopy and a urine protein exam.
c.     However, if it is not due to low protein in blood and there are many cells in the abdominal fluid then the cause may be due to infection or malignancy. Since his prostate specific antigen levels (PSA levels) are fine, I don't think it is due to prostate cancer. A 2 cm growth in a non-cirrhotic liver is unlikely to be cancer, but with the presence of fluid, it is definitely a possibility
Awaiting your reply.