Swelling in the abdomen above hip bone. Causes?

Question
I am feeling what feels a swollen organ on the front left side, slightly above my hipbone. There is no pain, it just feels like an organ in that spot is possibly enlarged. I push in on that spot on both sides of my body and can feel something roll across my fingers on both sides, it just feels like on the left side that whatever I'm feeling is possibly bloated or enlarged. What might this be?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

The swelling that you are feeling in the abdomen seems to be intraperitoneal in nature. It can be due to intestinal distension due to a partial obstruction of gut related to constipation. Excessive gas due to indigestion might also produce such a feeling. In such a case the swelling usually subsides after a bowel movement.

It could also be your un-descended testis. Or a lipoma in the anterior abdominal wall.

The diagnosis can be made after a physical exam by a general surgeon. I suggest you consult one to find out the exact cause.

Your doctor might ask you to undergo an ultrasound of abdomen or MRI of lower abdomen to find out the exact cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.