Swelling in right ankle spreading to leg

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my right ankke is swollen up and now is going up my leg
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Swelling of the ankle is caused by accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells or intercellular tissues. It can be due to cellulitis, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude (less likely from your location), high salt intake and any blood clot in the veins causing DVT. Are you taking some medicines like laxatives? Abusing these can also cause pedal edema.
In your case, I suggest you an immediate physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO, venous Doppler of the legs and urine tests done.
Meanwhile you should follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:
1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.
4) Keep your fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.
5) If you are taking any birth control pills then get an immediate evaluation from a physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.