Swelling in lower legs with dry patches, dent on calf that seems to be increasing. Concerning?

My husband has very swollen lower legs with dry, dark patches and the front of one calf has a large dent in it that has gotten much larger since yesterday. He does not want to go and see about it...should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Yes ma'am, this could be a matter of concern. Let me explain this for you. The appearance of swelling in the legs (edema: due to retention of water) and dry skin with dark patches, which has gotten worse over a period of 24 hours is most probably an indication of some condition, which will have to be given proper medical attention and care, or this could result in serious problems. Let me list some of the most common conditions with such a presentation:
-Diabetes (due to poor circulation, can result in death of tissue, etc.)--Although you have mentioned him to be free of diabetes in the history, I request you to kindly retest his blood sugars again
-Varicose veins (poor circulation)
-Atherosclerosis (this is the most common cause of arterial circulation problems in middle aged and elderly individuals)
-Cellulitis (is an infection, which can be caused due to breaks in the skin and result in edema, and worsening of the condition)
and a few others.

I would thus request you to please take your husband to a doctor ma'am. Who will have to physically examine and diagnose your husband accordingly. Treatment will surely help him. I request you to do this at the earliest, and convince your husband to visit a doctor, as such conditions can only get worse with time.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.