Swelling in lips and tingling sensation. Had Maine lobster. Would an allergy to shellfish cause the lips to swell?

I woke on Monday (3 days ago) with severe swelling of my lips. Started with tingling sensation. I do not have any known alergies and have not changed my face lotion or makeup. What can cause a sudden swelling of the lips that would last for 3 days with no other symptoms? I had Maine lobster for the first time on Sunday afternoon. Would an allergy to shellfish (never had a problem with shellfish before) cause only the lips to swell and last for 3 days?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
allergies, infection and trauma can cause swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The main cause of swelling of any aspect of the body is inflammation. This can occur as a result of an allergic reaction, trauma or infection.

If there are no symptoms that can be attributed to an infection (fever, increased temperature, discharge, rash- such as oral herpes) or any history of trauma then it is likely an allergic response.

Since you used the Maine lobster for the first time prior to the swelling then this is a possible cause unless you have a history of using another new food or agent.

An allergy can be associated only with swelling and can persist for a few days i some persons.

You should consider the use of an oral antihistamine, the drowsy antihistamines are stronger than the non drowsy.

In addition the use of a mild topical steroid such as hydrocortisone would reduce any inflammation.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions