Swelling in left arm, discolouration and numbness. Ultrasound and MRI are clear. pain under armpit and sharp pain in head. Concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I took my 14 year old daughter to the ER 3 days ago because she had sudden swelling in her left arm and discoloration and some numbness without known injury. She is a cheerleader and gymnast, but did not do any physical activity that day. Her MRI and Ultrasound both came back clear at the ER (blood flow and arteries good and no sign of blood clot in arm)
and she was discharged. Its been 3 days and she still has swelling in her left arm, some numbness and tingling mainly at the bend of her arm. She also mentioned some pain under her arm pit and a sudden (quick) sharp pain in her head 2 times. I am taking her to a neurologist tomorrow. Please assist, I'm concerned.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of autoimmune reaction

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have read your query and I would advise the following:

As per your history and investigation, possibility of autoimmune reaction needs to be considered.
You have family history of autoimmune reaction, which can be inherited.
You may need to do blood investigation like ANA ds DNA after consulting your doctor.
Another differential include nerve compression, which leads to numbness and swelling.
There can be neurovascular deficit in such cases; sharp pain can be due to compression of nerve at different levels. There can be neurodeficit, which need to be examined by neurologist.
Lympangioedema also leads to swelling in limb; a diagnostic lymphangiography will confirm diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.