Swelling in groin, no pain. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I have a long (5 inch) swelling....about the size of my thumb in my left groin. Like a long sausage in the crease between my thigh and abdominal area...and runs parallel. It is not down low near the testicles / scrotum. It doesn't really hurt in an acute fashion...but it is uncomfortable when I push on it. I am an airline pilot and sit a lot. Of course, being a Type-A personality, I went to WEB MD, etc. Sounds like a lymph node problem, or some type of hernia. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow! I have had this about a month now.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding a 5 inch long swelling in your left groin. It is in the crease between thigh and abdomen and it is not down low near the testicle and scrotum.

Since your this swelling is not going down to testicle and scrotum therefore we would like to get the examination findings as if it is reduceble on pressing than it may beinguinal hernia, on the other hand if it is non reducible and is tender, and overlying skin is appears to be involve than there is possibility of Inguinal lymph node.

So by a thorough clinical examination one can differentiate weather it is lymph node or inguinal hernia.