Swelling in foot after cut, applied Bactine, soreness, numbness. Is this normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I cut the top of my left foot on a piece of glass outdoors on Thursday evening. It bled profusely for about 5 minutes until i kept pressure on it. I rinsed it under cold water, cleaned it and sprayed bactine on it. I dried it off and then I put neosporin plus on it and applied several bandaids. It was fine after than and I could walk around and everything. The next morning I could not apply weight to that foot and it had swollen a little in the area of the cut. It had bled a little more but did not soak to my sheets or anything so I removed bandages, cleaned again and reapplied neosporin and bandaids. I have been pretty much limping when i do have to move since yesterday as it is sore to apply too much weight on it. Now I notice the area around the cut(which is actually healing)is swollen and there and is i have not feeling in a small area around the cut.
Is this normal?
Hx: 52 y.o. AAF, 5'9", 235lbs, hx of htn, controlled on hyzaar. Pretty healthy, exercise 2-3x week. Check up last week normal...all blood work normal...had TDAP shot. No other medical problems.
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It seems that you sustained a minor injury on your foot. The dressing and general precautions that you are taking should be sufficient to bring a recovery in about 5-7 days.
It is normal for the area to be painful and mildly swollen. The presence of numbness in the small area is indicative of superficial nerve injury in the area due to the cut. Please do not worry. This will recover spontaneously without any treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.