Swelling in fingers after exercise

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Swelling in the hands after doing an exercise appears to be a result of the way your body and blood vessels respond to the increased energy demands of your muscles during exercise.

Exercise increases blood flow to your heart and lungs, as well as to the muscles you're working. This reduces blood flow to your hands, making them cooler. In turn, the blood vessels in your hands may overreact by opening wider — which could lead to hand swelling.
Other causes might include dehydration, running outside during high temperatures, and fluid retention as a result of a high-salt diet.

Usually it does not need any treatment but if the symptom is persistent then an evaluation by a physician will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Swelling in fingers after exercise 9 hours later
it is very hot here 100 plus temps my exercise is inside but possibly i am not drinking enough to compensate for this.continue to worry as it seems to be no better
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can keep yourself well hydrated and decrease the salt intake in the diet.
In case the swelling is still bothersome then consult a physician for a detailed examination to detect the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.