Swelling in feet, stomach. History of dementia, babbling nonsense. Treatment for swelling?

Hello, my dad has a major problem. He's 69 years old and his feet started swelling up. Over the weekend the swelling is now past his stomach. By swelling, I mean like an elephant. He can't get out of bed anymore either. He also has demensia (the start of it) and babbles all day about things that aren't there. Unfortunately he doesn't have medical aid so I can't get him to a hospital and I can't get him out of bed by myself. What must I do?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dilip M Babu 25 minutes later
Your father needs to be completely evaluated by your treating physician who can investigate him further and prescribe appropriate therapy. Diabetic kidney disease and nephrotic syndrome can cause similar problems.
The following investigations need to be done:

•     Spot urine protein creatinine ratio
•     Kidney function tests
•     Serum electrolytes
•     Serum Thyroid Stimulating hormone TSH [thyroid test]
•     Complete blood picture.