Swelling in abdomen. Barium CT shows diverticulosis. MRI of back and hip normal. History of hydronephrosis of kidney. Causes for pain?

This past July I developed the feeling of a swelling in the lower left abdomen. This did not abate so after several weeks so I then saw a gastroenterologist. I was given Metronidazole and Cipro for 3 weeks that had no effect. I then had a barium CT that showed slight diverticulosis that he said should not account for my discomfort. He recommended a colonoscopy that I had in early October. Aside from mild diverticulitis all was normal. He saw nothing that could cause the sigmoid colon discomfort. When the discomfort still did not abate I had an MRI of my lower back and left hip. Nothing could be found. I also had a small bowel study that showed nothing. I have seen 6 physicians and no one can help. I am 70, 6', 160, very fit and active bike riding 10 hrs/week. The only unusual feature of my body is that I have hydronephrosis of my right kidney.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 18 hours later

The hydronephrosis is on the right side, suggests that there is some obstruction to your urinary flow from the right kidney to the bladder.
However, most of your symptoms relate to the left side. It is unlikely that the right hydronephrosis is the cause of your symptoms.
But it is important to check that nothing has been missed on the MRI on the left side. Get the images reviewed by a urologist and a radiologist.
Though you have no symptoms on the right, obstruction on that side may lead to complete loss of kidney function in the long run. Thus, it needs to be evaluated and managed.
There is a possibility that the pain is of musculoskeletal origin due some physical exertion. I would suggest that your try and recall any unusual physical activity, around the time of onset of your pain.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.