Swelling at the back of the head, pain in the neck muscles, head injury?

Two nights ago I noticed when I layed down to sleep the back of my head was sore like I had bumped it pretty hard. I haven't. The next day it was swollen in that area and sore to the touch. This is near a raised mole I've had all my life. Yesterday the swelling is now moved up higher on the back of my head and is really sore. Now my neck muscles are bothering me and hurts to turn my head to the left.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Based on your description, I can think of few possibilities such as:

1. If the back of your head is swollen and pretty sore then the likely possibility is that you have actually been hurt there.
You need to consult a physician and it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. Head and neck injuries are XXXXXXX at times.You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
This problem needs a medical attention and investigations like CT scan and MRI are entailed.

2. An inflammatory condition - inflammed hair follicles (folliculitis)

I encourage you to consult a physician. A diagnosis can be established after physical examination and tests.

Meanwhile you can do a cold compress on the back of your head and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.