Swelling around eye after bee sting. Took benadryl. What can be done?

i was stung by a bee on Sunday and have swelling around the sting, which includes my eyes, eye lids, upper aprt of my nose, etc. I have taken benadryl, but to no avail. What do i do now
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The mainstay of treatment of bee sting is antiallergic. Benadryl (antiallergic) is useful mostly to relieve itching. Thus it should be taken only if itching is present.

Also try to scrape out the sting with a blunt knife (if the area is not swollen yet).

Applying ice may help with the swelling .

A home remedy is to apply nail polish remover that may neutralize the sting.

The swelling will come down spontaneously in a few days. Itching may stay for some time after the swelling has resolved.

Dr Vaishalee