Swelling appeared on foot after injury. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dropped a XXXXXXX on the top of my foot and it swelled immediately. The vein is quite swollen, should I be worried?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From the photograph it looks like vein is common after skin trauma.
However it is important to rule out the formation of a hematoma in the muscle or any hair line fracture in case there is a sharp pain on weight bearing or the swelling keeps on increasing. For this it is important to get an x-ray limb and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of injury.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on your foot by wrapping ice in a towel and take some Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall to the area. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.

2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.