Swelling and soreness in the leg. History of DVT. Suggestions?

I have recently returned from an oversea holiday and have suffered from DVT before and I have been burping for the last 24hrs and I have had some swelling in my leg (same leg) as previous DVT and some soreness in the leg.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 4 hours later

The swelling and soreness in your legs could possibly be due to DVT. However, the diagnosis can be confirmed only after you have been evaluated by your treating physician and have undergone certain investigations like Doppler ultrasound. Treatment of DVT would require certain prescription drugs like anti-coagulants which can be obtained only after you have been thoroughly evaluated by your physician.

Burping continuously can be due to eating food or drinking too rapidly, anxiety, and intake of carbonated beverages. You can take Tablet TUMS twice a day with food for 5 days.

I suggest that you try the following measures when you travel overseas again:
1.     Bend and straighten your legs, feet and toes while seated every half-hour or so during the flight.
2.     Press the balls of your feet down hard against the floor or foot-rest to help increase the blood flow in your legs and reduce clotting.
3.     Do upper body and breathing exercises to further improve circulation.
4.     Take occasional short walks, when in-flight advice suggests this is safe.
5.     Drink plenty of water.
6.     Wear elastic compression stockings.
7.     Avoid alcohol, which in excess leads to dehydration and immobility.
8.     Avoid taking sleeping pills, which can make you drowsy and prevent you from moving about.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.