Ask a Dentist   »  

Swelling and painful lump under chin after root canal. Should I be worried for hematoma?

i have a painful lump (knot) under my chin after a root canal, with swelling. I was given a second round of antibobiotics. Did the bacteria from the tooth infection collect there? How do i recover from this? Is this a hematoma?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later

In such cases, lumps in this region is more likely to be enlarged tender lymph node.A focal abscess and hematoma are rather less common. Such enlarged nodes are due to infection and might take some time to resolve after course of antibiotics.

To confirm that this is enlarged lymph node a sonography can prove helpful.This will also rule out if this is abscess or hematoma.

So consider getting a sonography done.If it's enlarged lymph node then no special treatment would be needed and it will resolve after infection has cleared off.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.