Swelling and pain in knee. MRI done. What are the findings and treatment to be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi, I have had knee problems for years. I had an MRI today on my right knee after I hyperextended it 1 week ago. Alot of swelling and pain since the injury. Some of the findings from the MRI concern me. Mainly #1 below but also #2. Do I need to have it drained? Is this something a cortisone injection can help with?

1. Significant diffuse degenerative arthritic changes at all compartments with large osteophytic hypertrophy (can you give me some more info on this one please)
2. There is a moderate diffuse joint effusion.
3. Small vertical tear of the tip of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus without demonstrated loose body.

Thank you for your assistance.
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for raising your query to me.

I am not happy to read, "significant degenerative arthritic changes" in your knee. More so, when you are just 37. This means that there is significant wear and tear in your joint. This much wear and tear is usually seen after 50 or 60 years of age. In some, even later. The osteophyte hypertrophy is an indirect evidence of undergoing degenerative arthritis. That means, bone ends are growing in form of spurs. This occurs when degeneration occurs.

#2 and #3 are okay; do not worry about it.

My advice...

You should consult an Orthopedic Surgeon/ Knee Surgeon. He should advise you about primary treatment and definitive long-term treatment.

Meanwhile, icepacks can help you significantly.

I shall never advise Cortisone injections, a strict NO from my side.

I hope this helps.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy and Knee Surgery
Saumya: Centre for Advanced Surgeries of the Knee Joint,
Ahmedabad, India
www.knee.in

Follow-up: Swelling and pain in knee. MRI done. What are the findings and treatment to be done? 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response Dr. XXXXXXX A follow up question would be why you feel strongly about no Cortisone. Just curious. I've used this once before for tennis elbow.

Also, some with degenerative arthritis, am I likely to need a knee replacement or is this worse than that? I'm reading online this leads to disability.

Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 25 minutes later
Cortisone is steroid, can introduce infection in the joint as it encourages that. Cortisone in tendon (tennis Elbow) is different from cortisone in Joint.

Nothing can be commented about degenerative arthritis treatment, as I need to see all x-ray pictures as well as MRI pictures.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy and Knee Surgery
Ahmedabad, India
www.knee.in