Swelling and pain below the rib cage. Advice?

i have an ache at the bottom of my left rib cage.occasionally the lower rib feels slightly inflamed ? the problem seems worse in the evening though not only experienced in the evening.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Ache at the bottom of rib cage with inflamed lower rib is suggestive of an inflammatory problem of the ribs or the intercostal muscles. It happens most commonly after a minor injury.
Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your rib cage. Avoid sleeping on that side.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to the area will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. XXXXXXX Breathing exercises can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.