Swelling and infection on the side of neck. MRI shows no signs. How to resolve it ?

ENT Specialist
I recently had a MRI scan with contrast of my head and neck. It revealed the size of a swollen lymph node that I have had for 9 years. The size is 3cm long by 1cm wide. My neck on this side has become increasingly uncomfortable over the years and in the past 8 months I have kept coming down with mystery bacterial infections that affect this side. Originally these were thought to be due to dental causes but further investigation by oral specialists seems to have eliminated any dental cause. The mri report noted that there was no evidence of central necrosis or neoplastic change within the lump but I am concerned that 9 years ago it felt so much smaller and within that time it has grown enough to cause me discomfort constantly and that I keep coming down ill with inflammation and infection on this side of my neck. Please could you suggest what the next step should be in trying to resolve this? And also what are the possible causes of this recurring infection that causes swelling in my inner ear, under my jaw and in the left of my neck if not dental related?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 14 hours later

Thanks for the query

The lymph node enlargement that you have mentioned above could be secondary to the infections in the throat and oral cavity.

There are various lymph nodes in the neck and other parts of the body which is designated for certain areas in the body. Your query does not describe about the exact location of the lymph node. Hence, it is difficult to come to a conclusion.

If you can mail the MRI report and also describe the exact location the lymph node, it would be easy for us to make a diagnosis and hence advice you regarding the further steps of management.

I will be waiting for the reply.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon